Monday, March 31, 2014

I'm not that Fire Fighter's Wife

I'm not your typical wife. I don't put limits on David. He wants to go hunting....go and bring us back a bird. He wants to go fishing...please bring me back a Mako shark. He wants to take overtime...please take the night shift so I can work and also have the remote control at night.


Last week two fire fighters lost their lives in Boston. It's not the first time and certainly not the last. By the time David and I got engaged, eons ago, he had been electrocuted, dropped 20 feet in a "training" exercise and been in numerous situations that should turn my hair straight.

I will never forget the call I got, at work, saying David was fine. I replied, of course he is not realizing that he had been at a fire (off duty) and the power line going to the house had burnt but was still live. And fell onto his helmet. He was flown 20 feet with only the fire engine stopping his trajectory. I left work and went home to let the dog out. I thought he was at the hospital. Imagine my surprise to find him on the couch. Smelling burnt. Wondering why the heck I was home early. By the way, he smelt burnt for almost a week.

A few years later came 9/11. When I sat home alone and watched the coverage of the World Trade Center heroes and victims. He was at the Station in case something happened in Boston. I sat at home, tears falling, realizing just what I was getting into planning a wedding to a fire fighter. 




Then the Marathon Bombing happened. Numerous fires happened. All the time I realized that as much as David loves me and the girls he loves his calling more. He is a fire fighter. He is the only person I know who is doing what he said his dream was in kindergarten.  

This week David will be attending the funerals and wakes of two men who gave their lives to save the innocent.  Men he never met but who were his brothers. Ed Walsh, a lieutenant who left three children under the age of ten and Mike Kennedy a Marine Vet who survived our Country in more ways than one.

A friend asked me if I was okay. I was surprised and answered I didn't know the men who died. In truth I never listen to the scanner. I never wonder if David will be okay. 

I am a fire fighter's wife who understands that the call to duty is not necessarily to my own. But that is the man I adore. The man who will answer the call to save someone's life. The man who will leave when I am putting dinner on the table or a short skirt on for date night. The man who as much as he loves his family will put us second to his first duty...

To save others.

May peace be with the families left behind.



Firefighter's Prayer 
When I am called to duty, God wherever flames may rage, 
give me strength to save a life, whatever be its age. 
Help me to embrace a little child before it's too late, 
or save an older person from the horror of that fate. 
Enable me to be alert to hear the weakest shout, 
and quickly and efficiently to put the fire out. 
I want to fill my calling and to give the best in me, 
to guard my neighbor and protect his property. 
And if according to your will I have to lose my life, 
bless with your protecting hand my loving family from strife

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and letting me know what you think!