Thursday, May 23, 2013

Workshops...not the end of the world!

When Boo began her new program in preschool it included monthly workshops. The workshop is once a month for 2 hours where a parent observes the ABA/discrete trials that our child undergoes every day.

The first workshop was very difficult for me to observe. I am happy to report that every month since then has been easier. At first I was just so unprepared. I didn't know what ABA was or the whole 'compliance' issues.

Eight months later, I love the workshops. I get to know Boo's therapists/aides better. I learn that Boo is not saving her stubborness for home. I realize why Boo is so disjointed on the weekends without the routine of her school day. Not that this knowledge will help me with devising a weekend routine.

But if you are honest with the team and allow them to be honest with you (in other words, don't think your daughter is a princess) both "teams" end up serving Boo in the best way possible. I relayed some issues we are facing this summer (we live near a beach and Boo is afraid of the sand) and they will invent a program to make the beach easier. 

The other bonus of the workshop is I can fill the team in on Boo's medical updates. I can tell them face-to-face what programs neurology and/or developmental medicine want to add and Boo's team is usually one step ahead of the game.

We are never leaving this town. I still haven't figured out why Boo's program isn't available everywhere. But I think we should make it our mission to find funding for your town.


3 comments:

  1. That program sounds great! And the advantages you mentioned like being on track with the team and all that are very important in my opinion. However, I truly can imagine that it was hard to attend the workshops at first.

    I missed you on my blog this week! Hope you are just busy and nothing else is going on! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is this program called, Kerri?

    I sure do hope you don't leave your town cause with recession cuts are happening everywhere..:(

    btw, how was boo's visit to the birthday party? Very curious to know :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful program, and it's such a shame that it's not available everywhere. I'm embarrassed to say I take it for granted that the school system provides what my kids need, because I know that is not the case for so many children.

    And I'm curious like Ruchira - how'd the bday party go?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and letting me know what you think!